On Butterflies

My favorite creature has been the butterfly since I was a little girl. There is something about the life cycle of the butterfly that is so unique. It starts out as a tiny egg on a leaf and then out hatches an ugly caterpillar. After much eating, it spins itself a chrysalis and stays "asleep" for many weeks as things begin to change dramatically. One day it will pop out of its chrysalis...a beautiful butterfly!
 I have always loved the way butterflies flutter around... sometimes soaring, sometimes fluttering from flower to flower, and sometimes sitting still with its wings wide open absorbing the sun.

When I was about 13 or so I began collecting some butterflies for  my very own collection. The funny thing is that in reality I have not caught many of the butterflies! Most of them have been given to me.  My siblings have caught butterflies for me, my Dad has brought some home from work, and friends and neighbors have given me butterflies. I even have a couple butterflies from Africa from a missionary family!



Butterflies in the freezer *
Two moths being pinned

My many Butterflies and Moths


* You might be wondering why I have butterflies in the freezer... it looks and sounds really strange, I know :-)  I read somewhere that one of the most painless ways to kill preserve a butterfly is by putting it in the freezer. They will keep fine in the freezer for months until you pin them and then put them in your collection.

1 comment:

  1. That is so neat, Rachel! Your collection is bigger than I thought! :-) ~Rosie

    ReplyDelete