Hexagon Flower Patches

   


 Last Friday Mom and I went over to help family friends who had just welcomed a new baby into their home. One of their older daughters (who is around 9)  asked her Mom what to do with two pair of pants that had holes in the knees. Since her Mom had just given birth to their 7th baby the day before; she decided  they would have to throw the pants away because they did not have time to fix them.  I offered to take the pants home and try and patch them.
I have often patched my clothes with store bought patches but this time the holes in these pants were big and on the knees, so I decided I would make my own patches. I wanted the patches to be girly and pretty. So the first thing I did was look for ideas on Google and I found this wonderful tutorial:  http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2009/08/paper-piecing-hexagons/
The first patch turned out very pretty and the pattern was easy to follow. But I wanted to change the pattern from using paper to using interfacing and since I was going to make another patch I thought it would be fun to make a tutorial of how to make these hexagon  flower patches. So I got my brother's wonderful camera and started the next patch.

Here are the materials you need to make these darling hexagon flowers:

-Scissors
- Pen
-Scraps of fabric ( I used 3 different patterned fabric)
-Iron
-Thread
-Interfacing
- Hexagon template ( I used a Feta Cheese lid) first I made a hexagon on Microsoft word with 1 inch sides to make the hexagon template for the lid

First, trace out 7 hexagons on your interfacing. Then cut out all the hexagons.


Next, Iron the interfacing on the back sides of your scraps of fabric. Make sure your fabric is fairly wrinkle free.


After you have ironed on the interfacing cut out your fabric hexagons being sure to leave a 1/8" to 1/4" seam allowance between the interfacing and the edge of the fabric.

Now you are ready to start sewing your hexes together.  
Finger press your fabric along the side of the interfacing on two of your hexes. With right sides together match up your center hexagon with another hexagon with corners matching up. Make a knot on your thread and begin the ladder stitch picking up a tiny bit of fabric each time. Tie off at the end of each side.  Join all the sides of the hexagon together to form a flower. You will have to twist the fabric so that you get right sides together and make sure that it lies flat when it is sewn together.

After you have sewn all the hexagons together finger press the outside edges of the fabric onto the interfacing and sew it down. I did tiny french stitches but now that I think about it, it would be a lot faster to quickly baste it. You can do it however you like :-)
Now you have a beautiful patch!


Last step: Sew the patch onto your clothes that need a  fresh and new look!




Blessings,
  ~Rachel


2 comments:

  1. That is so neat! They turned out really well- great job, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete